Thursday, November 16, 2006

Swimming Lessons…

Its official, I have joined a swimming club. From now on I will only part take in swimming sessions and no more running. I have to admit, it has not been a voluntarily decision, mind you, it was more or less forced upon me… with the current weather conditions my running sessions have turned into swimming lessons.

No without kidding, anyone looking for an accurate weather forecast for Hindhead and surroundings, just ring me and ask me when I plan to run. You will then immediately have a 100% accurate indication on when it will rain.

It is almost funny, the day starts out dry and almost sunny and when my thoughts go towards running, dark & grey clouds immediately start to form above this tiny village. Its still dry though, so good humoured as I (mostly) am, I change into my training gear. It is still dry at this stage! I gather my stuff; water, mp3 player, house key etc and its still dry, albeit a bit darker now. I leave the house and it is still dry! 3 minutes into running, and the dark clouds break open, the rain beats down on me in massive drops, when hitting my clothes, sounding like tiny little voices laughing “Gotcha! Ha! Drop, Ha! Drop, Gotcha again!”.

I am not letting that get to me though, although it does cause “funny” situations. When running on Tuesday (yes, a full 50 minutes/7mile) I had to do a mile stretch next to the A3. Not ideal with the traffic in mind, but it was only a mile.

I started to notice, while the rain was pounding on me, this one car was staying behind me, as if driving with me and not driving past me, now that is weird in general, but especially on the A3, he was causing a massive queue behind him too.

Initially I thought, that’s nice, this car doesn’t want to overtake me with his car fumes etc… then I noticed he was taking pictures of me using his phone, well obviously not really pictures of me, more of my behind … Now I am not easily insulted and it actually made me laugh. Sad cow taking pictures of that image, I thought, but then realising the rain had soaked my clothes a little bit, and thinking of these new running training pants I was wearing, it wasn’t long before the creepy thought of “Have they become see-through” entered my mind. Hmmmm… I realised there was nothing I go do at that stage, except run faster! With hindsight, I think is quite clear now, why I achieved one of my best times that day!

Overall, glad to be back running, and the rain is actually quite nice, believe it or not, now that I am used to it and got some rain proof clothing. Doing another run today of about an hour and then a long run (90 min) on Sunday. So anyone planning to spend time outside on Sunday take an umbrella with you if it is between 11 and 13…!

Take care all,

AZ

PS: VRB 1 - virtual running buddy - was dangerously close to officially becoming VCB 1 last Sunday. VCB standing for Virtual Couch Buddy! During my running break of two weeks, he gladly participated in the NOT-running part (claiming sympathy pains) and he still struggles a little to get back into it, read barely trains, apparently! He made up though on Monday and Tuesday, I have to admit, so for now he still lingering on a VRB status…but it is a thin thread ;-)

PS1: Thanks for all the comments and messages of support since I started training again. I really appreciate that and it makes it all worthwhile! Apologies if I have not replied personally (yet), just so you know, I do read and like your messages!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home