Wednesday, January 24, 2007

...frostbite!?

Time left until the big day: 2 months, 28 days, 13 hours and 59 minutes
State of mind: …showing signs of frostbite!

Life of a runner in the UK is not exactly easy, is it? If it is not pissing down with rain, there are wind gust of over 150 miles/hour (always against, never ever for!) or like today an inch of snow with temperatures that would not be odd in an Antarctic climate. A quick search online shows that a typical Antarctic climate is characterized by being extremely cold, dry, windy, and with scarce precipitations. In fact, summer does not exist. I don’t know about you, but that in certain ways sounds like the weather here in the UK, especially the sentence “summer does not exist!”.

Sometimes I do feel it is all because I started to enjoy the idea of running and if that is indeed the case, I apologise to you all for turning the weather conditions in the UK to such a state of misery.

On top of that, I am seriously having problems keeping up with a 5 times a week schedule and it is not just the weather conditions that keep me from running either. I still talk about it as a 5 times a week schedule, but I do entertain the thought of reducing it to a more feasible 4 times a week in my mind. If only because that will then be slightly closer to the 3 times a week I actually manage to run.

I wrote earlier about feeling I had joined a swimming club. On tonight's run, however, I felt I had incidentally joined the local Haslemere ice-skating club. Not only was it dark and gloomy, the road was positively icy and slippery and I would have probably set a Personal Best if only I had worn my ice skates.

On a positive note, I have entered a Half-Marathon Race at the end of February, the 25th to be exact! All part of the “official” preparation for the big day in April. It will be the Eastbourne Half marathon, nice on the coast here in the UK. Parts of the race are on the boulevard close to the beach, which sounds exotic, but I am sure, and it is just experience talking, that it probably will either rain really badly or even worse attracts even more severe weather conditions, solely because I am doing it. In that case, advance apologies to all other participants...

Have a great week!

Take care
AZ

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan Furness said...

Hello,

Just found your blog whilst looking for bloggers in Hindhead and surrounding areas.

I am fascinated by your challenge - wow! ... and all the charity work that you do. I completed the Three Peaks Challenge last year, raising £12,000 for CARE International alongside my team mates. You can do it - believe in yourself.

Wishing you all the best for the Eastbourne half marathon,

Jonathan
Blogger of Hindhead

12:28 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home