Monday, March 19, 2007

Getting Fit…. again

Time left until the big day: 1 month 2 days 16 hours and 10minutes
State of mind:………………………..

Despite the current snowfall, hail and horizontal wind guts, I feel great for having achieved as much as I did over the course of last week. I am still suspicious though for having an effect on the UK weather what with me running. The weather was perfectly spring wise prior to me starting again. I even spotted that if you type in “weather forecast hindhead friday” in google - click here to check and you will see my blog is ranked 5 or 6!

Nevertheless, I managed to run 6 times in 7 days and slowly building up distance. On top of that, I decided to add swimming to the regime. Last Saturday was the first time I went and I entered my local swimming pool with the objective to swim for at least 30 minutes.

10 minutes in and I finally had my bathing suit on… Geez, I am really not sure they are supposed to be that tight. All was not helped by the fact the changing rooms are not exactly build to accommodate tall people…so 15 minutes later and I finally entered the pool spotting three more bruises as well as a tight fitting suit…

Still full of positive intention, I started swimming laps. The pool is a small one and each lap was a mere 25 metre. I wish I could say the tightness of my suit had something to do with the fact I could barely finish four of these. I had to stop, I was breathless, I never realised swimming was so tough! After 15 minutes in the pool, I lost count of the number of laps I had done and noticed the lifeguard started to eye me sceptically as if he suspected me to be his next drowning victim. It might have been the fact that my breathing had turned into a loud and obnoxious gasping for air sound. I reckon I managed about 700 meters (28 laps) but that is a very rough guess indeed.

When I left the pool I nearly fell down (my legs were not up to carrying my body anymore…apparently). It was like this movie with Bridget Jones when she was on the exercise bike and stepped off. That was me leaving the pool on Saturday. I was back in the pool on Sunday though doing 32 laps!

I am leaving for Ecuador in two days, which is not greatly timed with the marathon just around the corner, but with all the climbing, trekking and other activities it is not going to do me any harm I figured. The coast has a reported 90% humidity (YES!!!!), and 30-degree weather might even do me good! Worst-case scenario I fail finishing the marathon tanned!

Best wishes and speak/chat soon

PS They say Ecuador is very internet oriented..guess I (and you) will find out ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home